One of the many things I love about being a mom is sharing something silly or fun from my own childhood with my boys. Growing up, we didn’t watch much tv in part because their just wasn’t much programming for kids WAY back then. Saturday morning cartoons were the highlight of the week. My mom had to work so my dad would make us chocolate chip pancakes and watch our cartoons. It was so simple and yet it is one of my happiest childhood memories to this day! And one of my all-time favorite Saturday morning shows was Pee-Wee’s Playhouse. I was just shy of ten when the show started and my middle sister (then 14) and I thought it was the funniest thing ever. One year I even videotaped several episodes for her because she was at a private high school where they had classes on Saturday morning. I might as well have gifted her the Hope diamond she was so thrilled. To this day, we quote the show and the subsequent movies (“If you love it so much, why don’t you marry it?”). So when the show and the movies hit Netflix I knew it was time to share the joy that was Pee Wee Herman with my boys. If you didn’t grow up watching the show, you are in for a treat! I would definitely recommend starting with the show and then checking out the movies and specials. Get ready to giggle! Chairry the chair and Terry the Pterodactyl! The word of the day and “I know you are but what am I?” The basement at the Alamo! It just does not get any better than that.
It is funny the things that you notice and appreciate watching something again through the lens of a parent. I realize now that Pee-Wee’s Playhouse teaches kindness, encourages creativity, and helps kids learn to laugh at themselves. Pee-Wee is always doing something creative, making his own fun, even whipping up yummy, totally kid-friendly snacks so get ready to see your kids get inspired by this silly show. Chances are after watching this show your kids will come up with the fun all on their own but just in case you want some fun ideas to or feel inspired to throw a Pee-Wee Herman birthday party (AKA my dream party!), check out this Pee-Wee inspired fun:
- Start a rubber band or tin foil ball or both!
- Make yourself some ice cream soup. Put some ice cream in a bowl and let it melt a little bit. Pour in some chocolate syrup, stir it up, and voila! Ice cream soup!
- Come up with a word of the day. When anyone in your family says the word, everybody has to scream “AHHHHHHH!”
- Make a peanut butter and jelly banana dog!
- Make up secret code names that end with -o for everyone in your family.
- Check out this Pee-Wee Herman themed baby shower from Cassie Stephens. SO creative and fun!
- Watch Big Top Pee-Wee or Pee-Wee’s Playhouse Christmas Special! I know it is summer but Pee-Wee’s humor knows no season.
- Check out Etsy for tons of super cute Pee-Wee Herman goodies like this cross-stitch that I definitely need to get for my sister! Shhhhhhh…